Sunday, June 10, 2012

my love for you went viral

Today was lovely, but as I was plied with vodka and champagne at noon, I was hungover at seven, surly at nine, and now v. sleepy. But yay for having friends so that I could get into such trouble with other people rather than all on my own, right?

I managed to make it out of bed in time to shower before driving over to Oakland (ssss) to pick up Sherry and take her to the Oakland airport. I must say (shh, don't tell anyone) that she was probably the most fun guest to host, and I was actually sad to see her go. And she gave me an Amazon giftcard for all my troubles, which was super thoughtful of her, and which I will now use to buy the book she just released last month. But duty called on the other side of the bridge, so I drove back into the city, and went to the Marina Safeway (which has been known for its meat-market scene since the '60s, and unfortunately I don't mean the quality of their butcher section). I was far underdressed for that Safeway, since I was wearing my "Kiss Me I'm Iowish" tshirt and some running pants and everyone else was wearing cute sundresses or shorts in honor of today's unseasonably gorgeous weather. The guys in front of me in the line were still friendly and/or drunk enough to chat me up, but I clearly wasn't going to the same scene they were going to, since they had two bottles of v. cheap champagne and a 24-pack of Coors Light. Not that I should really judge, given where the rest of my day went, but still.

sssanyway, I came home, put on a dress, cleaned up my room, and helped Terry finish the setting up for the brunch she was making -- it was book club day, and it was Terry's turn to host, but since I live here I obvi wasn't going to just watch her finish everything. She made a really awesome spread (great potatoes w/vegetables, a caesar salad, and grilled shrimp, all separated out to accomodate the various dietary restrictions of everyone in the group), and I contributed some fancy water (water infused with raspberries and mint in two of my several pitchers). Chandlord arrived first, followed eventually by Katrina and Lauren, and that's when the plying with vodka (unexpected) and champagne (totally expected) began. So that was v. fun, and I loved/appreciated the intent behind the vodka even if the results tonight were less than stellar.

We ate brunch up on the roof deck, which was gorgeous even though it became too hot for all of us (we are now all confined to places that consistently stay between 55 and 70 degrees). Chandlord had to leave early to go to a dance, which was particularly unfortunate since she'd actually read the book, so that was sad. But the rest of us discussed our thoughts and grievances; we read Mary Jo Putney's THE RAKE, a Regency romance which was written like twenty years ago. On the whole I really enjoyed it, although I had some grievances that I'm sure I only had because I've been analyzing romances too much recently.

After everyone left, I eventually returned to the roof deck and talked to [censored] and then my father, who continues to be on the mend but sounds good on the phone. Then I took care of some tings, and then I talked to my mother, which was entertaining particularly since I let slip tings I didn't intend to let slip (see: vodka). Terry and I watched some tv after that, and then I worked on Nick and Ellie for about an hour, and now I'm going to go to bed early since I'm sure the burning sun will wake me up long before I'm usually ready to in the morning. Goodnight!

No comments: