Wednesday, July 04, 2012

back to the start

Today was mostly lovely, even if I didn't write nearly as much as I had intended. When I woke up this morning, I considered backing out of my social commitments for the day so that I could write -- and I even wrote three pages or so before noon, which never happens for me. But then I decided to be a good friend (and to save myself from the anger of hearing the entire Marina neighborhood engage in raucous day drinking while I was slaving away at my desk) and went to both parties I was supposed to go to -- Heather and Salim's barbecue in San Jose, and Chris and Connie's barbecue in Menlo Park.

Those of you who know anything about the geography of the bay area know that this means I had to drive an hour+ to get to Heather and Salim's, where it was approximately thirty degrees warmer than the city. I rolled in around 1:30, but the meat wasn't ready until four, so I spent some quality time hanging out with dear respected madam and their friends. I need to see Heather again for a proper catch-up v. soon, but I had a good time seeing people, and the food was absolutely delicious.

After that barbecue, I swung by Chris and Connie's, where I ended up lingering for a couple of hours and closing out the party since I was about an hour and a half later arriving than I had planned to be. I hadn't seen them since before I went to Iowa, so we had a lot to catch up on (over watermelon mojitos, which were amazingly tasty). I left their place around eight, which was much later than I had planned to leave the south bay - I was expecting bad traffic and had intended to come home around five, but both parties went way longer than I had anticipated (which was good, since I had fun!). Luckily traffic was remarkably light, so I made it home in good time. I'm going to have to leave the city again sometime soon to take my car to a carwash, though - when I left Chris's, I discovered that someone had egged my car, which was particularly disgusting given that it immediately cooked onto the car in the heat of the south bay. And there's eggshells stuck inside the housing of my side view mirror, which is super annoying. Boo.

Anyway, I came home, watched a bit of fireworks from my roof, read part of an absolutely terrible book that I couldn't finish, and am now going to go to bed. More writing tomorrow -- luckily I think I'm hitting a groove and understand the story better now, so hopefully I'll have a bit of smooth sailing until I hit another wall. Goodnight!

No comments: