Monday, July 09, 2012

with fingernails that shine like justice

I should really start these posts with something more interesting than "I didn't write as much as I wanted today," shouldn't I? Part of it was happenstance; my two cocktails last night were the very picture of restraint, but I still woke up feeling surly and sick. Not as sick as the aftermath of my failed triple margarita challenge at Latin America Club, but still not happy. So I laid around in bed, then showered, made some oatmeal and coffee, and wrote for a couple of hours in the early afternoon. Ellie and Nick are being little bitches and not doing exactly what I tell them, and while I think I could have forced them to get on with things (things being undressing each other), I had plans this afternoon and had to abandon them. But before my plans, I talked to my mother, which threw off her schedule since I was three hours earlier in calling her than I usually am on Sundays. She took it in stride, though, and it was good to catch up - and tentatively plan my next trip home, which will likely be at the end of summer when I need to detox from the Olympics and all the food coloring my Olympics commemorations entail.

I was good and didn't bail on a social activity today (even though I wanted to be good-er and finish this section I'm struggling with). Instead, I met up with Lauren (aka Subz, a name she hates) and Terry at the Fillmore Jazz Festival. They closed off multiple blocks of Fillmore and put up food tents, beer gardens, and outdoor stages, with a bunch of different jazz performances happening up and down Fillmore. We spent the first hour or so nursing drinks in a beer garden and catching up on life, since I hadn't seen Lauren since pre-RomCon (which means pre-Chocolate Mangasm, an event that all my friends seem to want to hear about). Then we wandered down the street, ate some kettle corn, and listened to a particularly delightful female vocalist for a few songs. I also almost bought a red fascinator from a hat store, but it was hard to justify spending the money on it even though I have more use for a fascinator than anyone I know (not that I needed to tell you that).

As we were walking, we ran into some acquaintances (some guy from my old workplace whom I hadn't seen in years, although he's friends with Nathan), who ran into some more acquaintances, which turned into a v. fun impromptu street gathering. The music in the background made it all much more entertaining, since it's hard to be shy with strangers when there's a seductive beat going on underneath it all. So, that was all v. nice, but eventually we parted ways and Terry and I came home, where I made us some chili (yum). And then I was going to write, but I failed; instead, I took care of a few small tings and wrote some answers for an interview/forum chat I'm doing on some romance site tomorrow (this is my life). So now I'm going to sleep so that I can get up and participate in the chat and hopefully write like a million words of this book. Goodnight!

No comments: