Friday, August 17, 2012

let it rain over me

I am not where I intended to be tonight - on Thursdays, I can typically be found in my own bed, but instead I'm in Heather and Salim's guest room, after an unfortunate encounters with several margaritas. Ha.

First things first. Today was South Bay Fun Day, which meant that I got up, showered, dried my hair, and vacated the house by ten a.m. to run errands and work at Stanford library. The first errand was at the Apple store at Stanford Shopping Center; my laptop battery started throwing a 'service battery' warning, and I decided I should get it checked out. After twenty minutes of waiting for my appointment, a fairly surly dude helped me, but I forgave him for being surly when he said that replacing the battery (normally $129 + $30 labor even though it took them <10mins) was free because it was covered under my warranty. I laughed internally at that, since my AppleCare plan expires tomorrow (ha!), but I took it, and now I have a lovely new battery that should last another three years. That makes me happy, since I was *thisclose* to saying that if the battery cost anything to replace I should just buy the 11" MacBook Air - yes, I realize that's not a cost savings.

So after my battery got fixed, I grabbed lunch at my fave cafe in the south bay, then went to the post office, then went to a shoe store to return a pair of shoes that I ordered online. I bonded with the sales clerks, but unfortunately they didn't have anything in my size that I wanted, or else I would have bought something from them. The return was ridiculous, since their system was calculating the return sales tax incorrectly, so I think I was out about $0.10 (although when I asked if they had any candy to give me, they offered me some dog treats - clearly they were trying to make it up to me). Then I went to Stanford library, where I spent four hours researching the Regency, British travelers in foreign lands, etc.

My evening plan was to have dinner with Heather (aka dear respected madam), and I dragged her to Fiesta Del Mar. Before we even got seated, I went *off* about a bad review I got on HEIRESS this morning, which basically said that my historical knowledge was terrible and that the whole thing was unbelievable. If you've spent more than three seconds with me, you know that I hate to be told that I'm wrong, particularly when I'm oh-so-right, and so I was pretty much livid all day. There's nothing I can do about it, since it's the reviewer's right to be snarky and there's no way that I or anyone else can address it without making the situation worse, but suffice it to say that I did my research and there's nothing I can do to combat the 'Romancelandia' version of history (which is not real history, as much as readers who've read hundreds of romances would like to believe it is). Ugh. I'm still angry. sssanyway, I was going to stick to diet coke, but I ended up having a margarita...and then my favorite waiter (who loooooves me) brought me a special blend margarita that was omgthebestthingever, and then Heather ordered one after she tasted mine, and then I had another. And long story short, I got drunk and almost weepy and so when Salim came to pick Heather up, I had to go home with them. Ha.

So when we got to their place, I sobered up just enough that they plied me with a gin and tonic, and we talked about weddings and construction and watched 'Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. And now I should sleep; I have to get up at eight so that dear respected madam can take me back to my car when she goes to work, and then I have to decide whether to a) do the drive of shame home or b) go to the mall, put on makeup in sephora, buy some underwear, and go to the library. I'm too old for this shit, but there are days (like when reviewers claim I don't know history) that it feels good. Goodnight!

No comments: