Sunday, September 30, 2012

i wear my sunglasses at night so i can, so i can keep track of the visions in my eyes

Today was both successful and not at all successful. Not successful because I wrote nothing, but once you get beyond my shocking (or not so shocking) lack of productivity, I had an awesome day. I started off with brunch down the street, since I was starving at the unusually early hour of ten a.m. and had no food in the house. Then, I unpacked everything and did some laundry before showering and then running over to John's - I was looking for some PhD regalia for a party I was going to tonight, and he offered to loan me his. This was a mistake, as we both realized immediately, and a mistake we probably should have thought of earlier, since he's 6'5" and so even his hood dragged on the ground when I wore it, let alone the robe. Ha. The regalia may not have worked, but we spent a couple of hours catching up, which was v. nice since I have barely seen him over the past few months since I've been out of town so much.

Post catch-up, I came home, did a bit of work, took a nap, and then wrote my speech for tonight's party. The party was a 'graduation' for the team I managed four years ago, and about half of the fifty original members showed up. I had to drink some courage in the form of v. potent sangria (plus a mandatory shot of fernet during one of the other toasts), but they had asked me to give the 'commencement speech', which seemed to go well (I may have pulled Prom King out of my purse at once point - Prom King is my anatomically-correct newborn doll which Gram Holder gave me many years ago and has been a mainstay of my room since senior year of college). It was so awesome to catch up with the people who came and find out what they've been up to in the two years since I left the Goog, and I'm glad that I came back from NYC and rallied in order to go.

So, that was great. I then skipped out on the post-party bar experience and came home (using the most inept cab driver ever; he didn't know where Gough was, which is ridiculous considering it's one of the main arteries in the city). And now the jet lag is kicking in and I should really get some sleep - goodnight!

No comments: