Sunday, September 16, 2012

tell the truth, you never wanted me

Today was a v. lazy day, as happens when I'm a) hungover and b) my neck is hurting. I woke up around ten, hung out with Terry for a bit, and then hung out with our friend Lisa (a survivor of my 'hell' floor in Mirlo many lifetimes ago), who was in town with her tiny daughter and her still-incubating second child for the weekend. Chandlord called me up at some point and asked what I was up to; since I missed seeing her for my birthday, I readily agreed to hang out, and so she walked here while I showered. We ended up going to a cafe I've been meaning to try, but as it turns out it has a fantastic decor and absolutely no food that I can eat. So I had a banana and a bite of a gluten free cookie that I promptly abandoned while Chandlord and I caught up on life and everything else.

When we got back to my place, I gave her a ride to her next destination, picked up my dry cleaning, went out to grab some real food, and then came home and attempted to work. But my neck was really starting to hurt, and so I tried taking a nap to fix it. That didn't work at all, and I couldn't stomach the idea of driving (which seems to make the neck worse), and so I canceled on a dinner party I was supposed to go to in the south bay (which made me feel super guilty, but my guilt wasn't strong enough to outweigh the pain in my neck). So I spent the night reading a book - CLOUD ATLAS, which I'm reading for the book club I'm crashing at Yale next weekend. I'm really loving it, so much so that it's making me despair of my romance career and dream of all the literary fiction I could have written instead if I'd become an 'artist' instead of a shameless hack. Not that I could write anything like this, but I'm in awe enough that I want to. I'm far from finished, but I'm reading it more slowly than I usually read, and I need to go to bed if I have any hope of being useful tomorrow. Wish me luck with that - I could use it. Goodnight!

No comments: