Sunday, October 21, 2012

you make me feel like i've been locked out of heaven

Today got off to an unusual start - I woke up at 5:30 a.m., which is v. v. unusual since I now only get up before eight if I have a romance writer meeting (once a month) or an early flight. But I didn't plan to wake up at 5:30 - instead, it was forced upon me because the fire alarm in my bedroom started chirping. If there was any way to keep sleeping through it, I would have, but it proved impossible, and so I put on pants and glasses and drove to Safeway to buy a battery. Then I came home, installed the battery, went back to bed, and slept until ten, thus demonstrating my dedication to my sleep.

When I finally woke up, I messed around on the internet, made a hamburger for breakfast/lunch (perhaps that's weird, but I had a package of hamburger I needed to use and there's really nothing better than a hamburger any time of day), spilled a whole glass of iced tea in the living room (no ill effects other than to my temper), and then settled in to write. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked to, but that's okay; I finished the scene that I was working on, and then made the mistake of taking a break to go to Philz and get a coffee and some fresh coffee beans. When I got home, I instead turned my attention to watching the last bit of Big Game while organizing my emails - I didn't *answer* any emails, but I archived everything I don't need to answer, which is actually progress in my book.

But I had to stop messing around eventually because I had a party in the south bay tonight and I had to shower/dry my hair/put on makeup/put on heels like a normal employed girl (which I am certainly not, if my aching feet are any indication - I can barely tolerate heels anymore). The party was a joint birthday party for the big boss (remember her?) and the big boss's husband, who I had also worked pretty closely with way back in the day. I had a great time, since I got to catch up with a lot of people that I worked with when I worked with her, including both people who are still at Google and people who have moved on to Twitter, Facebook, etc., etc. And I got to chat with the big boss and her husband, of course, and admire their house, which is totally gorgeous and makes me feel like I'm living in a hovel (albeit a hovel with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge from the roof deck, so as hovels go, it's not too bad).

And then I came home, glad that I am writing romance novels and not answering emails for a living (since I'm clearly terrible at email now, and it's only getting worse). And now I shall go to sleep and attempt to write more tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: