Tuesday, January 01, 2013

all your love is just a dream, dream, dream

Happy new year! As I am still in Iowa, I have no drunken exploits or other fun new years activities to report (although I am drinking half a glass of wine in bed, which is v. unusual for me, and even more unusual since I usually don't drink in Iowa). However, today was nice despite the lack of external socializing...

...but first, I suppose I should apologize for not blogging last night. Unconscionable, I know. I spent the day alternating between writing stuff and family stuff (heavy on the family stuff). I read through most of Nick and Ellie, making notes along the way about which scenes worked (almost all of them) and which didn't. But I had to take a break in the afternoon/evening because my mom's sister, my Aunt Dee, came up from Missouri with her oldest kid, Moriah (who is three months younger than [censored]), to see us. My sister and two of her kids also came over so that they could see Dee and Mo, so we had a full house in the afternoon. Jackie and the kids left around four, but my mom made a roast and we had supper with Dee and Mo while my father preached the low carb gospel to them. Post-gospel, we ended up playing Cards Against Humanity, which was hilarious once again, and Moriah stunned us all with a quick and effective victory. They left around ten to go to the motel in town, and then I stayed up until two (against my better judgment) and read more of Nick and Ellie.

So now that you'll caught up, you'll understand what happened when I say that I got up this morning at eight in case Aunt Dee and Mo had come back out, discovered they hadn't, and so dozed until ten. Then I got up and had breakfast with them before they headed back to St. Louis. After they left, I finished reading Nick and Ellie, took a bit of a nap in the living room, helped my mom stream ESPN online from [censored]'s laptop to the tv since the ISU bowl game was on ESPN and we don't get cable (a barbaric workaround I'll have to use tomorrow if I want to watch the Rose Bowl), and then worked/napped until supper. Post-supper, I threw in the towel on my own writing and ended the year by reading a book - MR. PENUMBRA'S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE, which I thought was charming and delightful (albeit a little slow to get into). It was set in San Francisco at the intersection between Google and a strange, bookish cult, so needless to say it was right up my alley.

And now, 2012 is over and I must move forward into 2013. This year wasn't too shabby - while I always seem to feel like I should have written five times as much as I did, I suppose I should be proud of myself for publishing Madeleine/Ferguson, rewriting and publishing Amelia/Malcolm, and being *thisclose* to done with Ellie and Nick. I have no idea what 2013 holds with my writing - Nick and Ellie will be done, obviously, but I don't know what combination of works I'll try to complete after them. Still, regardless of what 2013 holds, I'm excited - and perhaps I'll even try to be a bit more social and less hermity than I was in 2012. No promises, though; maybe I'll just hole up in my apartment and prepare for the apocalypse instead. May you all have wonderful and safe and healthy new years - goodnight!

No comments: