Monday, December 10, 2012

let the right one in

Today was both wonderfully productive and amazingly unproductive. Wonderfully productive in that I was out of bed and out the door by nine a.m. to participate in some roommate bonding/Christmas decorating schemes; amazingly unproductive because I did not finish the book today. I had toyed with the idea of going to Stanford to work, but I was too tired (less than six hours of sleep never works well for me) and too unmotivated.

But I can officially say that I have caught the Christmas spirit after so many years trying to avoid it. Damn. Terry and I went shopping for a tree stand because we didn't want to buy the one at the place where we bought the tree...but after going to two different Lowe's and discovering both were sold out of tree stands, we ended up going back to Fort Mason and buying a tree stand there. There was also a craft fair going on, so I got a soap dispenser made out of a blue Mason jar, which I adore. And then we came home, put up the tree, I made us some celebratory eggnog french toast (most delicious french toast ever, and you couldn't tell I used gluten free bread), and Terry put up the lights while I cleaned the kitchen. So, all in all, that was successful...

...but I have not decorated for Christmas ever, and now all of a sudden that's all I want to do. I warned Terry that I believed that Christmas decorating is like vampires -- per vampire lore, they are not allowed to cross the threshold of your house unless you invite them, but once they're in, you're basically powerless to stop them. And for me, that was true with Christmas -- as long as I never decorated, I was safe, but the moment I decided to decorate, I was lost. And now I'm truly lost, thinking of cool centerpieces and interesting garlands, etc., etc. Damn.

So the rest of the day was mostly a wash, but that's probably because I was too tired to really think and my head has hurt all day. I should have just taken a nap in the afternoon, but I tried to power through and didn't get much done. I did shower and talk to my parents, so I suppose that's something. And I took a break tonight to watch an episode of 'Wedding Band' with Terry. But now I'm going to throw in the towel, admit defeat for the night, go to bed, and hopefully sleep nine hours so that I can be revived for a long slog tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: