Thursday, December 27, 2012

will you hose me down with holy water if i get too hot

Merry Christmas! I should have blogged last night, of course, but I was tired and doubted that anyone would be too disappointed. But then, [censored] told me that he was worried when I didn't blog, despite the fact that [censored], so perhaps I should have. But I had a v. lovely Christmas Day with the family. We woke up at the ungodly hour of 7:30 (to be fair, my parents had been up since five or something ridiculous) and started opening packages around 8. Since we go one at a time, and since we tend to give many smaller packages rather than one or two big gifts, this ritual took a couple of hours, and it was all v. merry. I got my usual haul of strange and interesting items, with an odd mix of writing gear (lovely fountain pen ink, some moleskine notebooks, a book on storytelling/craft), cooking/kitchen stuff (two cookbooks, a butter dish, iced tea spoons, etc.), survival/earthquake prep gear (leatherman, fire starter, emergency tent, and other gifts from my dad), etc., etc. After opening gifts, my dad picked up my grandmother and brought her out for lunch, and then I took a nap before the four of us finished our game of Rail Baron. [censored] won, much to my dismay, since I had been in a pretty good position to win it in another five or ten turns. Boo, hiss.

Today was utterly uneventful by contrast. I slept late, then spent the rest of the day in my pajamas, alternating between doing stuff online, playing solitaire (such an addictive waste of time), reading, and watching tv. Tonight was the Kennedy Center Honors, which is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays - this year they honored Dustin Hoffman, David Letterman, Led Zeppelin, and two people I'd never heard of. The Letterman tribute was pretty hilarious, and the Led Zeppelin tribute was awesome, with a great rendition of 'Stairway to Heaven' featuring the lead singer from Heart and a huge backup choir. I am reminded that writers aren't eligible for the Kennedy Center Honors, which is a shame, but I suppose I can survive without having that as a stretch goal.

After that concluded, I watched the news, then most of Letterman, then came downstairs, filled one of my favorite pens with my new ink, and started reading the storytelling/craft book I got for Christmas. Verdict: excellent so far, but I've only read the warmup, so we'll see how I feel over the next four hundred pages. And now I should really go to bed so I can keep reading this book tomorrow (or maybe do some writing if I feel particularly adventurous) - goodnight!

No comments: