Friday, January 11, 2013

all the leaves are brown

Today was excellent, albeit exhausting - I had to wake up at 6:30, which is an abomination that I should perhaps try to become accustomed to if I am to ever succeed in the adult world. Luckily, I keep choosing industries (tech and writing) that have late start times; if I have kids, I may have to hire a nanny just to watch the kids from five to ten a.m. Ha. sssanyway, I had to pick up [censored] and [censored]'s boss at eight a.m.; they're in town for a conference about [censored], so I arranged for them to meet some tech entrepreneur types. That meant that I had to drive them to those tings, since they didn't have a car and might find the driving a bit rough after the wilds of Stillwater.

So we went to Mountain View and met with some people from [censored], my old place of employment. Then we went over to [censored], the enemy of my old place of employment, and had a quick lunch with Adit (some people call him the cat), who showed us around and talked about his experience getting acquired by [censored]. I'd never been to their campus before and it was, I must admit, v. lovely - and the food was on par with my old place of employment, if nothing else.

After Adit, I drove [censored] and the boss man around Palo Alto and Mountain View to show them sights of interest. Then, we met up with Garry, an old friend from my freshman dorm who now does some tech investing, and chatted a bit about startups and incubators. Then I sped back to the evil city to try to beat traffic, kicked out the boss man (who was lovely, but had other dinner plans), and brought [censored] back to my place, where we [censored] on our laptops for awhile. Eventually we had dinner at Nettie's Crab Shack, which I adore - partially for their fish, but more for their wine list and for their soft-serve swirl ice cream, which seems to be nearly impossible to find in San Francisco. After dinner, I dropped [censored] off at [censored]; depending on his schedule, I may not see him again on this trip, so we said our adieus just in case.

And then, I came home and enjoyed the blessed quiet of not having to talk; while I had an awesome time today, I'm preparing to play the tour guide for another two days for a writer friend who's coming into town, and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. So, in rebellion, I booked a few nights in an undisclosed location next week; I'm going to go on a mini writing retreat next week and completely finish Nick and Ellie, since the agent lady read my latest draft and thinks we should move forward with publishing it without waiting for another round of review from my editor. YAY. So I'm going to finish them next week if it kills me and start the process of soliciting reviews, setting up guest blogs, and all the rest. Fun times, eh? Goodnight!

1 comment:

riturani said...

i heart this post.