Wednesday, January 09, 2013

and it feels like home

Today was an utterly lovely day in the city of sin. [censored] flew in at nine a.m., which means I had to get up at 7:15, which was utterly barbaric - but since [censored] hadn't slept all night, I suppose I can't really complain. We had breakfast at Peter's Cafe in Millbrae, which was totally delicious. I pointed out the Hong Kong Flower Lounge to him, but it was both too early and too cruel to play shrimp or feet, so we abstained.

After breakfast, we drove into the city, and on a whim I drove across the Golden Gate Bridge so that he could see it without either of us freezing our asses off by getting out and walking on it. Also, see our trip to [censored], where we both discovered our fear of [censored], and you'll understand why the idea of walking on the bridge didn't appeal. So we got out at a viewpoint on the north side and observed it from a safe distance before going back into the city. We ended up at Fisherman's Wharf, where we killed forty-five minutes or so by watching some street performers and checking out the sea lions before our Alcatraz tour.

Alcatraz was lovely, even though I've already been there twice; less lovely is that I'm going again on Saturday, but c'est la vie. The weather was gloomy and cold, but then, the prison is gloomy and cold, so it didn't really matter. Also, the tour guide at the entrance was utterly ridiculous, telling us to look for something in the building behind us that 'looks like a Taco Bell' (it's a mission-style ruin) and telling everyone that they needed to be in 'tiptop shape' to make it up the hill, which is not at all true. But [censored] seemed to [censored], which made me happy, and we had plenty of time to explore before catching the ferry back. Luckily, neither of us [censored] over the side of the boat, unlike my grandfather all the way to Japan in WWII - the [censored] genes are apparently strong in us.

Post-Alcatraz, we sat for twenty minutes to recover our stomachs, then came back to my apartment, where [censored] [censored] while I caught up with Terry. Then, [censored] and I had supper at Roam, the burger place around the block from my apartment; [censored] asked if it was famous, since he recognized the name, but I pointed out that I blog about it often enough that it's probably famous solely amongst readers of this blog. Ha. After supper, I dropped him off at [censored], and now I should really sleep - I have to pick him up tomorrow at eight so that we can [censored], and since I have to look a little more put together tomorrow than I did today, sleep is essential. Goodnight!

No comments: