Sunday, January 13, 2013

welcome (back) to the rock

Today was v. long but v. fun, and now I'm totally done with hanging out with people and am going to run away to an undisclosed location tomorrow afternoon so that I can completely finish Nick and Ellie. But first, my day...I woke up at 7:30 (ugh) and went over to the east bay for my monthly romance writer meeting. It was great, as per usual; the group was a little smaller than usual, probably because everyone is still trying to stick to their new year's resolution of writing on weekends, but I saw some people I really wanted to catch up with, and my friend Darynda gave a great program. Then we stuck around for lunch (also good) before several of us headed into the evil city to go to Alcatraz.

Timing-wise, it all worked out great; it took almost an hour to get into the city due to traffic, but we parked in the garage that [censored] and I found on Wednesday (and it was only $9 on Saturday! as opposed to the $17 it was on Wednesday, and the $35 the open-air, easy to find lot across the street was charging). Then, we killed twenty minutes drinking coffee before lining up to get on the boat to Alcatraz. As it turned out, I'm so glad I did this tour as well; the night tour was so cool, since the prison is even creepier at night, it's less crowded, and they give you more information. A guide took us up the hill, stopping at a couple of locations to tell us various anecdotes. Then, we did the audio tour, which I may have memorized now that I've done it four times (with Irish Matt and my parents a few years ago, and [censored] and Darynda/the romance crew this week). But we were able to pause it and see the hospital, which I've never seen before - apparently they don't have the staff to keep it open during the day, and they only opened it for a half hour tonight, but it was really cool to see it. There were a bunch of ghost hunters on our tour as well, but I kind of doubt they found anything - there really weren't that many deaths on Alcatraz, despite its reputation...

...sssanyway, the hospital was cool, and perhaps the coolest thing was seeing the lights of San Francisco across the water. We got back to the city around 7:30 and grabbed dinner near the wharf, then sped out of there like mad to try to beat 49ers traffic across the bridge. I had to drop them all off in the east bay, which was rather unfortunate since I was only ten minutes from home when I left the pier, but luckily traffic wasn't bad either way. And then I came home, watched a bit of tv with Terry, and contemplated life. And now, I really must sleep; I need to get some rest so I don't get sick after being frozen on the water tonight, and I need to get up in the morning and pack my clothes/research books/red pens/etc so that I can venture off to my undisclosed location. Goodnight!

No comments: