Monday, March 18, 2013

i want your love and i want your revenge

My work day was totally brutal - I managed to get on a shuttle at 7:30, was in the office by 8:30, grabbed some breakfast, and then slogged until 4:30 with only a lunch break to talk to an aspiring writer about how I accomplished what I've accomplished so far. And when I say I slogged, I actually mean I slogged - eyes glazed over, barely able to hear anything around me slogging, without even really stopping to check my email or do anything else. I ran out the door to catch the 4:45 shuttle, and then I continued slogging all the way to the city. I know, so industrious.

But when I got home, I vowed not to open my laptop until it was time to blog. I didn't quite succeed in not checking my addictive little phone screens (even more dangerous now that I have a work phone and a personal phone), but I didn't open my laptop or do anything else screen-related. Instead, I tidied up the kitchen, read the copy of Romance Writers Report (the RWA monthly magazine) that showed up today (which I never read - I have a whole pile of them that I've been meaning to get through), and ate supper. I tried this new delivery startup, Munchery, which coordinates across a bunch of chefs to deliver tasty/local/organic meals, and it worked perfectly - food showed up as scheduled and was way better (and more meaty/gluten-free) than I can get with standard takeout. I thought the sauce on the dish I had tonight was a bit too salty, but I may think that because I have a feeling the Goog is trying to cut our salt intake and I'm probably less salt-acclimated than I was two months ago. But if I had cooked tonight, it would have been tuna salad instead of beef/potatoes/broccolini, and the meal only cost $13 (an abomination in Iowa, but cheap in SF), so I'm definitely going to use them again (maybe all the time).

Post munching, I spent a couple of quality hours nursing a cup of tea and thinking some more about Alex and Prudence - I made several pages of notes, and came up with some ridiculous theories and ideas that I'm sure will end up getting cut. I also considered my serialization idea that I came up with last night and am still debating whether anyone would read a serial and whether I can write it fast enough/good enough/funny enough to sustain it. Decisions, decisions. But spending some quiet time writing tonight rather than continuing to hunch over my keyboard was definitely a good idea, even if I'm still stressing over the story. Goodnight!

No comments: