Sunday, April 21, 2013

britannia rule the waves

Today was nearly perfect. I can't say it was completely perfect, because clearly you, Dear Reader, were not part of it. But if I can ignore that sad and woeful fact, then the rest of it was awesome. I didn't set an alarm, but I still woke up at eight; since that meant I slept for ten hours, I suppose that's still successful even if I'm sad that I'm reverting to grown-up ways. I messed around online for a bit, took a shower, and repaired to Caffe Union for breakfast. Then I walked down to the marina and watched the boats for quite some time in a totally desultory manner. Then I spent a couple of hours at Fort Mason, brainstorming Alex and Prudence, and coming up with some ideas for the adventure I intend for them to have together (an adventure no doubt made totally crazy because of my current reading material...but that's a story for another paragraph).

I took a break from writing to get a massage, one that I had desperately needed for way too long. I'd been to this therapist once before, and remember finding her breathing technique slightly odd, but she works miracles with the human body, so I already set up another appointment for three weeks out. My back and shoulders are a total mess, and that's not going to get better with all of my 'going to work' and 'sitting on a bus'. But I left in a state of total, blissed-out relief, which felt deliriously wonderful...

...so instead of working as intended, I spent the rest of the afternoon lying in bed and reading NAPOLEON IN EGYPT. omg, I love it. I won't regale you with all the tales I subjected Terry to, but suffice it to say that there were a lot of total characters who were either allies or enemies of Napoleon during this time, and the author did a fantastic job weaving all those anecdotes into the overall narrative. I ended up finishing the book tonight, after watching last week's episode of 'Project Runway' with Terry, and now I'm tempted to keep reading about Egypt rather than doing any of the other things on my plate.

But that's a decision for another time - now, I must sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: