Wednesday, April 24, 2013

i know more of the stars and sea

Super sleepy...I intended to write tonight, but sadly I spent time playing around with metadata instead, since I want to see if there are things I can do to improve my books' discoverability on Amazon (and then possibly apply those changes to other sites). Also, I'm in the process of moving my books to my account from my agent's account, which has been messier than I anticipated and has resulted in my books being off Amazon for at least a day (in Heiress's case, even longer - it's still not back up). Sad, since they were getting discovered more recently, but hopefully they'll bounce back.

Which I suppose is another story I should share with you - I didn't mention it because I was still in denial and wasn't sure what to do, but my agent and I are parting ways. Sadly, it has nothing to do with the success of our partnership (we had just talked a month ago about continuing to partner on my next series), and everything to do with personal issues on her end that are causing her to resign from agenting. Boo. I'm sad for her, of course, and I'm also sad for myself, since I love her and had intended to work with her for many years to come.

The good news, though, is that I'm not as panicked as I would have been if I lost my agent five years ago - with self-publishing, and the success of my efforts so far, I feel pretty confident I could keep doing what I'm doing with some success (although writing faster would help). I still want to have an agent for things like foreign rights sales, and because I want to try to get a traditional distribution deal for the next series so that my books are more widely available in print...but it's not a do-or-die thing.

So I need to make some decisions around whether to stay with an agent at the current agency, or whether to break up with them and start querying other agents/agencies. That's a wee bit nervewracking since there's the whole bird-in-hand thing vs. the grass-is-greener thing (which I guess is kind of the same thing, although perhaps in this case the grass really *is* greener). But I don't have to decide today, or tomorrow, or next week, so I should probably stop thinking about it.

Beyond business stuff, my day job was good; I drove today, which was so much better than the shuttle even though it meant I could do nothing beyond stare at the car ahead of me. But I was able to do that with the window down, while singing '80s ballads, and I wasn't carsick when I arrived, so I think that's a win. After work, I met up with Terry for dinner in Palo Alto, and on the way home I stopped at Philz for the first time in months (the barista was so happy to see that I'm still alive that he gave me my coffee for free). And now, after my war against metadata, I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: