Tuesday, May 07, 2013

it's the end and the beginning

I meant to go to bed two hours ago, but I got sucked into a web project that ate the last four hours. On kind of a whim, I decided to redesign my Sara Ramsey site; I haven't been happy with it for awhile, mostly because I felt that it was too dark and that the dual navigation bars were too confusing. And I had been thinking of paying someone to design a website for me, but I was too lazy to get quotes, and also too convinced that it was stupid to spend several thousand dollars to redesign a site that was probably fine.

But today I snapped, reaching the point where I was suddenly beyond sick of what I had. I think that I would be more prone to blog if logging into it didn't make me feel sad. And I want to do some new things with my marketing and promo over the next few months, and a slightly cleaner/fresher/brighter blog could help. So, I found a new theme, bought it, and spent the last four hours customizing it and bending it to my will. I still need to figure out how to create a bigger header that matches what I'm looking for, but so far so good - I think the color scheme works for me, and it's hopefully easy for people to find what they're looking for. The proof will be in whether site engagement and length of stay improves or declines after the site launches, but for now, I feel good about it.

However, I really should sleep rather than playing with my site; I had to slog all day today, and I need to slog all day tomorrow as well, so I really should get some sleep. Tomorrow's my last full day at home, which means I have tons of tings to take care of before my trip back to the evil city, and I should probably spend at least a bit of time with my parents. Goodnight!

No comments: