Tuesday, July 09, 2013

don't let me get in my zone

I had a surprise visit on the way to work this morning from my ulcer friend, who I thought had left me for good after I abandoned him for the sweet gluten-free life. Given that I woke up after having nightmares that I was trapped in a cult, then having to drive to Mountain View, I suppose it's not a surprise that my stress finally decided to gnaw on my stomach lining again. Which is odd, because I actually don't feel all that stressed. But that's probably a lie I tell myself to feel better about my life.

sssanyway, my stomach was in quite a bit of pain for most of the drive down to Mountain View, which made me super surly. Sadly, I had to get through several hours of meetings before I could get around to the task of healing -- and I decided healing required a burrito (sans tortilla), so I did that. And then I felt better for a bit, which is another sign it's the ulcer friend since ulcers feel worse on an empty stomach when the acid only has stomach lining to go after instead of tasty tasty food. Then I slogged all afternoon, but I slacked off around five p.m., picked up Terry, and drove us back to the city of sin.

Since I wasn't feeling well, I was going to skip the birthday party I was supposed to go to in Oakland tonight (which is part of why I drove this morning - I was going to go straight there instead of coming home), but my guilt overrode my aching stomach, so I went. And I must say that I'm really glad I did; some of my favorite bay area writer peeps were there, and even though I don't know them all that well, I was v. happy to spend some time with them and continue to build our friendships. Then I came home, tried on the clothes that were waiting for me (Boden is my nemesis; luckily, only half the dresses fit, so I can return the other half and feign frugality), and then worked for the past two hours on day job stuff. I know, it's a sickness, and doing this as a way to greet the ulcer friend was stupid. But I would be more stressed if I didn't send the emails I had to send, so I have no regrets (other than the whole host of regrets that have nothing to do with this). And I rescheduled my morning meetings so that I can dial into one from home at ten and then go into the office at noon, so hopefully I can get some rest and let the acid blockers do their job.

And on that octogenarian note, it's time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: