Sunday, July 07, 2013

semicharmed kind of life

I got my ten pages today, but they were v. hard-fought. Okay, the chardonnay didn't help, as it turned out. But I got up at 7:45 and met up with Kathia to write for a few hours, which got me my first five pages (slow going, obvi). Then I came home, made some eggs, took a nap, messed around on zee internets, and finally dragged myself out of the house again to make another attempt. That attempt was also slow-going; I went to Nettie's, where I sat at the bar, where it was way too easy to keep drinking chardonnay while writing. I usually don't drink while writing because it never helps, but the last couple of days have been refocused on the beginning (since I just didn't write the first three chapters in a vain belief that they would be easier if I wrote them later). And the beginning, with everything I'm trying to layer in about Prudence and Alex, is driving me nuts.

But I have to keep pressing on; my editor is expecting this book in a month, which is...only a month away. Gah. So I wrapped up the scene I was working home, stumbled home, and took a break by finishing the fantasy book I started last night (THE KILLING MOON). Then I typed up all the pages I'd written, editing as I went. And now, I'm going to go to bed -- I have one more glorious day of the weekend left, and I hope to get another ten pages at any price. Goodnight!

No comments: