Friday, August 02, 2013

all that's left to do is run

Today was totally lovely, but it involved a lot more driving than I bargained for. That was my own fault for taking the scenic route, and it was totally worth it, but I'm definitely more exhausted than I had expected to be. The parents and I had a v. leisurely morning; we ended up going out for breakfast around 10:30 or 11, and I introduced them to my favorite waitress at the cafe down the street, so that was fun. Then we went back to my place, packed up, and were out the door around 1:30. And I thought it would take us three hours to get to Mendocino...which turned out to be a wildly overoptimistic prediction.

Again, that was my fault; rather than taking 101 all the way up, I decided to cut across to the coast via Russian River, and then drive up Highway 1. That was way more breathtaking, but also way slower, since a lot of it was v. windy and so I could only go twenty miles an hour or so. Also, I was driving slower than I usually would to avoid getting anyone (including me) carsick. Also, my mother is even more deathly afraid of heights than I am, and so some of the cliffs were about enough to put her over the edge (figuratively, luckily; my driving wasn't actually going to kill her). Also, I came within a couple of miles of running out of gas at the end of the trip, and had to pay an extortionate $6.25/gal at the first gas station I saw for forty miles - but at least I didn't actually run out of gas, or my mother might have killed me.

However, despite all that, it was really totally lovely. The views of the ocean were consistently gorgeous, and the redwoods and forests and pastures were cool. We also saw a bobcat, which was awesome. And we had an early supper at a restaurant overlooking the water, which made me happy.

And now, even though it's only ten o'clock, I must go to bed - I'm either going to wake up early to have breakfast with my parents, or wake up even earlier to write before breakfast, so sleep is a necessity. Goodnight!

No comments: