Wednesday, August 07, 2013

i hate these blurred lines

The parents have returned to Iowa, leaving me bereft. Alternatively, they've left me with sleep deprivation and a mountainous pile of email and to-dos to sort through. Take your pick. Either way, though, their visit was v. lovely, and I'm glad that they came out! And it seems that last night's dinner was an utterly rousing success, even when viewed through the lens of my sober post-party survey of the dirty dishes in my kitchen. Luckily, cleanup was pretty easy since other people loaded the dishwasher last night (thanks, other people!), so I ran that load, then another load, and did a bit of handwashing of pots and pans. But everything's all clean and sparkly, and I had leftover tacos and a leftover glass of chardonnay for supper, which was exactly what I was in the mood for.

Anyway, this morning started off on an incredibly surly note when someone stood me up for an eight a.m. meeting - it was the second time this week, and I'm in a killing mood. I got some work done after that, then picked up my parents, had lunch with them, and hung out for a bit before taking them to the airport. Then I came home, did a couple of meetings, tried to work, and was too overwhelmed by everything I have to do to continue. So I ate supper, then read through all of Prudence and Alex's manuscript so far. The good news is that I like almost all of it (or can see how to make it better); the bad news is that I'm only halfway through and it's due in 2.5 weeks. Lololololol. This wouldn't be quite so bad if I didn't have two major projects at work culminating in the next three weeks. But if I survive to the end of August, I'm taking a mental health break in September, I swear. And I expect you to hold me to it.

After talking to Terry for a bit, I came upstairs with the intention of going to bed, but instead sent a bunch of emails so that I wouldn't hate myself quite so much in the morning. And now I'm going to go to bed, knowing that I'll probably hate myself anyway, since I have to get up at 6:30. Goodnight!

No comments: