Thursday, September 12, 2013

given the chance, i'm gonna be somebody

Today was particularly brutal, but I seem to have emerged from it unscathed. I didn't sleep very well last night, and it was for far less time than I would have liked, so I woke up groggy and categorically refused to get out of bed to go to yoga with Chandlord. So I slept for another forty-five minutes, which wasn't enough, then dragged myself through the shower and into some pants so I could run for the shuttle. I ended up taking half a mexican dramamine for the ride, since I was already feeling a little nauseated (last night's champagne binge is correlation, not causation), and while it kept me from throwing up all over my shirt, it also made me hella sleepy. Luckily my brain seems capable of rallying in just about any situation, so I think I came off well in the career panel I spoke on - or maybe I came off super cynical and sarcastic, since I had multiple people come up and thank me for being so 'real'. Ha. That's code for something, right?

sssanyway, I had a mimosa after (why? why is there always champagne around me?), then took two bottles of unopened champagne back to my team for their later enjoyment, since they way over-ordered stuff for the mixer after the panel. Then I immediately had four hours of meetings with no break, although I forced a break in there somewhere so I could make a v. boring salad. The meetings were good, though, and I felt reasonably accomplished at the end. So I met up with John and Vidya at TGIF, where we drank some wine (why? why is there always wine around me?) and laughed at jhokes. I only had a tiny bit of wine, so I was able to drive the three of us back to the evil city, which was far more entertaining than taking the shuttle even if tonight's drive was brutal. Then we met up with Jess for an impromptu dinner in my old neighborhood - there's a Mexican restaurant next to Chow that is amazeballs, and I had some of the best carnitas I've had in a very long time, along with a pitcher of margaritas (why? why are there always margaritas around me?). But I didn't finish my margarita, and it was mostly mango anyway, so I'm hopeful that I will sleep the sleep of the just tonight, rather than the sleep of the drunk.

And now I really must sleep; I have a million work things to do tomorrow, since the person who was most inspired by my career advice today may have been myself (hahahaha). Goodnight!

No comments: