Thursday, September 26, 2013

you better lose yourself

Today was a great day - perhaps not on the level of one of Taylor Swift's fairytale days, but then, I'm kind of glad that I'm me and not her, so I suppose I'll take what I can get. I made it down to the glorious south bay in time to train with Alyssa at eight a.m., which was less brutal than it sounds. Then I showered and made it to the office just in time for my ten a.m. meeting, which was quite interesting and useful and all that. And then I slogged the rest of the day, with a lunch break to have lunch with someone who recently joined the team. I must say that for all that going back to work has severely cramped my eccentric style, I picked a pretty good team to go back to; when I can ignore the annoyances, I can appreciate how nice it is that they all tend to eat lunch together at least a couple of times a week, and that we have cupcakes or champagne or other non-Alyssa-approved celebratory dishes on a v. frequent basis.

sssanyway, I skipped out just before five and picked up John, who had conned me into (or rather, asked me to) take him home with a stop at BevMo to pick up German beer for the party they're throwing this weekend. This was quite a fun errand, and I hit the five cent wine sale hard (eight bottles that will go straight to my liver). Traffic back wasn't bad, and since we took 280 it was even lovelier, which made for a nice backdrop to a rather philosophical conversation about life and choices and mindfulness and all those other buzzwords. I should have been wearing some lululemon yoga pants, but as I don't have any, my dress hopefully sufficed.

After I dropped him off, I came home, made some scrambled eggs with avocado (dinner of champions), and then met up with one of Chandlord's friends for a drink. I considered this more work than personal, so I prioritized it over all the other stuff I should have done tonight (including more fun drinks with someone else). She's starting some sort of mindfulness/yoga/development class/group and Chandlord thought I might be interested. And I think I am; it's so hard for me to carve out time unless I calendar it, and joining a group would probably help. But we shall see.

I walked home, which was a mile and a half down a hill so steep there were stairs cut into it (back in 1915!) for at least three blocks, which made me a little dizzy. And I got hit on by two old guys outside my favorite French restaurant who produced a gigantic fake diamond ring the size of my fist, so they must just sit there and hit on girls all the time (I'd seen them last week and ignored them, but this week I humored them). So really, today was a win all around. Goodnight!

No comments: