Tuesday, September 10, 2013

you can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug

I was super surly today, which was not good for my stress levels; the wall I hit hard yesterday continues to block me, but now it's more of a wild oscillation between my desire to get something done and my total apathy for everything on my to-do list. I spent some quality time on the shuttle this morning daydreaming about my next series and thinking of titles, but then I got to work and promptly developed a headache that lasted all day (and somehow seemed to get worse rather than better). I had lunch with Joann, which was lovely and v. long overdue, but then I went back to my desk and couldn't concentrate on anything at all. And since I only had one more meeting (not counting a one-on-one with the little boss, who canceled on me), I caught the four o'clock shuttle and came home to nurse my headache in solitude.

My surliness somehow increased rather than decreased after my nap on the shuttle, but I ate some nachos (not good for me, but good for my surliness) and then reread most of my gargoyles manuscript, which somehow put me in a better mood because that book could be really awesome and I like most of what I have. Then I sent some emails, got ready for tomorrow, and am now going to go to bed in hopes that sleep will improve my mood and my head. It is not lost on me that some of this may be related to getting older, but it seems that more of it is related to being burned out from having a month where both the day job and the writing job were more intense than usual - so hopefully I can recover this month before I do something I'll regret (like chopping off my hair, or developing a crack addiction). Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a most awesome birthday.