Friday, February 28, 2014

i don't want to let you go until you see the light

I am in Half Moon Bay, which is gorgeous - it's rainy and damp with occasional flashes of dramatic sunshine (during the day; it would certainly be dramatic if they happened at night), which is perfect for a writing retreat. I didn't get down here as early as I had planned; I woke up this morning around 6:30, which was only five hours after I'd gone to bed, and I made the mistake of checking my work email, which turned into an hour and a half of work. At that point it was eight a.m., and I tried to sleep some more, but I pretty much failed. So I made breakfast, packed, showered, and then got a text from Kathia saying that she wasn't leaving until twelve - so I promptly took my wet hair and went back to bed for half an hour.

But I finally roused myself, loaded my car, got some coffee at Philz, and drove down to Half Moon Bay. I got here around two p.m., checked in, and met Kathia in the bar, where we wrote for a couple of hours. I will admit that I was quite distracted by the television, which is unusual for me, but since they were discussing current events in Ukraine, I was really having trouble focusing. But I slogged through the rest of that scene, and then we took a break and walked along the ocean for awhile, which was lovely.

After our walk, I took a v. brief nap, and then we had dinner - I had an amazing beef shortrib dish that made me very happy. And then we sat in the lounge and wrote for another couple of hours. I got to ten pages today, which is respectable but not enough to thrill me. However, I'm still tired from this week's slogging, so I'm going to go to bed now, sleep nineish hours, and then hit it hard tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: