Sunday, February 09, 2014

telling you what my heart meant

I'm starting to fall asleep as I consider what to write, and that never bodes well for coherence. This should be obvious since my thought after typing that immediately leapt to Bode Miller. But I suppose it's not obvious since you aren't in my head. C'est la vie.

Today was great, but I'm completely and totally fucking exhausted, so I'm hoping the rain will soothe me into slumber and keep me there for nine or ten hours so I can recover. I got up at 8:30, messed around with my dress/hair/makeup, made a leisurely breakfast, and clearly procrastinated about walking over to my conference. But I finally forced myself to go (I knew I would have fun when I got there, but was also dreading it)...and as I just said, I had fun when I got there. The first couple of hours were mostly a large-group discussion about metadata and discoverability; I knew a lot of it, but other tips were great and it was a good reminder that I need to spend some time on this aspect since I've neglected it for too long.

At lunch, I committed stomach seppuku (it will become more traditional intestinal seppuku in a few hours) and had dim sum with Courtney, Sherry, Carolyn, Tonda, and some others. Dim sum with Courtney and Sherry is becoming something of a deliciously inconvenient tradition, since I adore dim sum but shouldn't really have it since it's full to bursting with gluten. But this dim sum was great, and I still kind of think it was worth it even though I now have a raging headache and a vague stomach stabbing pain. The group was really fun, though, and it was good to get away from the larger conference, so that was great.

After that, we went back to the conference hotel and I talked to some of them for awhile longer before spending some quality time catching up with Grace in the lobby. Then I sort of tagged along with her, Tina, and Bella to Tina's house, since Tina was hosting a big cocktail party for the conference attendees and needed help setting up. So we set up, had some entertaining conversations, and Grace and I spent some more quality time together before everyone else showed up. The party was supposed to be from seven to ten, but I stayed until almost 11:30, and it was a total blast. I had a particularly good time hanging out with Grace and Sherry and discussing werewhales and Indian massages and a variety of other inappropriate and highly hilarious topics.

But now I'm desperate for sleep and eager to spend tomorrow writing + fixing things + watching Olympics - goodnight!

No comments: