Monday, February 10, 2014

ukraine girls really knock me out

I did way too much today, which has contributed to the fact that my recovery from my cold has stalled. I slept for ten hours, but then I showered, made breakfast/lunch, and cleaned out my kitchen. This was a necessary task, since we had a lot of expired food and the cabinet shelves hadn't been cleaned in...ever. It perhaps didn't have to be done today, but since I want to go grocery shopping and restock in anticipation of my upcoming Olympics festivities, it was probably smart to have done it today.

But by the time I was done, it was three p.m., which is the time I had agreed to meet Kathia for a writing date. So we met up, but I only worked for an hour and a half before throwing in the towel, buying a few groceries, and coming home. Once here, I talked to my parents, then made some chili for supper, then made a test round of pelmini (Siberian meat dumplings) while watching Olympics coverage from yesterday (since I'm woefully behind due to my conference yesterday). Unfortunately, the pelmini were pretty much a failure; for one, I think I needed more salt in the meat, and for another, I tried to make them gluten free and I may have finally met a recipe that I can't recreate sans gluten. The major disadvantage of gluten-free dough is that it doesn't have any stretch whatsoever (that's what the gluten does), and so it was nearly impossible to make a dumpling without tearing the dough unless the dough:meat ratio was too heavy on the dough side. I made four and boiled them up, but I was disheartened by the results, so I tossed the rest of the dough (luckily I had only made a half batch) and put the rest of the meat in the fridge so I can make some weird sans-dough pelmini meatballs tomorrow. Sad times.

So with that failure weighing heavily on me (or perhaps lightly, since it means I won't feel compelled to spend the next four days making and freezing dumplings), I'm going to bed - goodnight!

No comments: