Monday, June 16, 2014

i'm a little drunk and i need you now

Today was awesome, but I have to go to bed immediately if I'm going to survive tomorrow. I woke up around 6:30, made some tea (or, rather, poured some tea out of my fancy automatic teamaker - that thing was more than worth the pricetag since I've used it daily for almost four years), and wrote for most of the morning. It was slow going since I was editing yesterday's stuff, but I think I added three or four pages in addition to cleaning up what I had, so that was great.

But I eventually had to throw in the towel so I could shower, nap, and go down to the glorious south bay for a concert. I left here early to beat potential traffic, and I spent some quality time in the parking lot at work talking to my parents (happy father's day, dad!). Then I rendezvoused with a work friend, who had somehow scored free VIP tickets with backstage access to the Lady Antebellum concert at Shoreline. I realize that this opportunity was mostly wasted on me, since I don't care for country music in general (thanks to some almost-certified PTSD from all the school bus rides where Smoky would only play country music), but I happen to like Lady Antebellum, and "Need You Now" was a heavy influence for Ellie and Nick's story (which I was working on two years ago right now - shocking).

Still, I was happy to take it. So we got to Shoreline, waited around, drank some cider, waited around some more, and were finally retrieved by some label exec to go backstage. We got our photo taken with the band (yay, although I don't have it yet), and that was all fun. They're very pretty, and very very tall - yes, that's my only report. Then we drank some more cider, listened to some of the first opener, grabbed some food, listened to the rest of the main opener (David Nail?), and rocked out (countryed out?) to Lady Antebellum. It turns out they're not Lady Gaga, in case you're curious. But again, they're very pretty, and I was particularly entranced by the countryish hipster vibe the main male singer was rocking.

But all good things must come to an end, and so I came home, and now I must sleep. I had a genuinely good time at the concert, but I perhaps would have enjoyed it more if I didn't think I had broken (another) toe while getting into the shower today (don't ask). As it turns out, I don't think my big toe was broken last week, although the nail is still black and blue; however, the smaller toe on the other foot really does feel broken, given the amount of pain I'm still feeling. Sadness. But I buddy taped it to my other toes, popped a lot of ibuprofen, and soldiered on as one does when offered free backstage concert tickets. Now, though, I'm going to rest it and myself - goodnight!

No comments: