Monday, June 02, 2014

in the burning heart

I stayed up way too late, especially since it's 2:15am on the east coast even if my computer only claims it's 11:15pm. But we have successfully reached Montauk for our writing retreat; I didn't get much sleep last night, but I woke up in time to shower and have breakfast before going to the car rental place to pick up a car for the week. Then I went back to the hotel, picked up Tina and Grace, and successfully navigated out of the city and onto Long Island.

We met the other members of our party in Southampton for a fancy, leisurely lunch with fancy, leisurely people. Then, we continued on to the very end of the island, where we found the house, which is incredible. It's clearly in the middle of being substantially upgraded, and so while the views are gorgeous and the main living space is lovely, it has a few quirks (like not enough sheets or towels). But the setup more than makes up for it, and I can't wait for a solid week of writing time to get me back in the game.

But I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening relaxing, chatting with my compatriots, eating, and reading (the latter thing being what has kept me up until 2am). So now I'm going to sleep, hope this weekend basically off has revived me, and hit it hard tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: