Thursday, June 12, 2014

she's an easy lover

I successfully wrote for an hour this morning, which was key; I think I'm going to have to suck it up and accept that I have to write before work every day if I'm ever going to finish a book. This is anathema to me, since I despise mornings...but by the time I get home from work, I'm so braindead that the only way I can write is by going to Des Amis and drowning my exhaustion in steak and wine. And while that's fine in the short term, it's perhaps not so good for my liver (or my wallet) in the long term. So writing in the morning, in bed, with a nice cup of tea, seems like a much better (albeit uncharacteristic) approach.

So I wrote, then showered, then took the shuttle to work since I knew I would be too tired to want to drive home tonight. This was an excellent decision, even though I hate the shuttle. I did a lot of work stuff today, but I managed to grab the four o'clock shuttle home. Once here, I ate some peanut butter, talked to Terry's aunt and uncle (they're in town for Stanford graduation), came upstairs, did a bit of work, realized I was too exhausted to work, and took one of the deepest twenty-minute naps of my life. When the alarm went off, I couldn't for the life of me remember why I had to get up - until I suddenly realized that I needed to put my clothes back on and run out the door to have dinner with Lauren (aka Subz).

I hadn't seen Subz in weeks/months, so we were long overdue for a catch-up. We accomplished this feat at Presidio Social Club, almost entirely because it's possible for both of us to park there; the serving staff remains odd and vaguely offputting, and the food is good but not excellent for the price, but the parking situation is one of the best in the city, so many sins can be forgiven for the fact that I only had to leave my house six minutes before dinner since I knew I'd find a spot. Subz and I had a lot to discuss, and we accomplished most of it over our meal, but it left me eager to have more social outings with more of the friends I haven't seen during my six weeks of incessant travel.

But socializing will have to wait; I must write this weekend, which doesn't leave a lot of time for fun. I shall survive, but in the meantime I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: