Wednesday, July 23, 2014

just give me a reason

I'm exhausted, but today was a highly successful day. I actually dragged myself out of bed in time to make it to the first workshop I wanted to attend (well, I was fifteen minutes late), which was about electoral practices and politics in Regency England. Yes, I'm so normal. It was by far the best panel of the day, so I'm glad I made it, and it triggered some ideas for plot points in future books, so that was fun. Then I skipped the next panel so that I could have breakfast, and during breakfast I wrote three or four pages of Thorington's book. Yay.

Thus feeling accomplished, I went to another workshop on Regency architecture and interiors. Then I ate lunch at the mini-retreat that I was on (these panels were all part of a historical special-interest gathering), which was way better than most conference lunches (fajita stuff with decent guacamole instead of the usual weird conference chicken) while listening to the keynote speech. After that, I could have attended yet another panel, but instead I talked to some people in the bar, took care of some business stuff, took a fifteen-minute nap, changed into a dress (plus my fascinator), and got ready for the evening.

First up was drinks with some people I finaled with in the Golden Heart a few years ago; as I was looking for them, I ran into the woman who had presented my award to me the year I won, and we had an awesomely entertaining conversation. Then I had a v. oversized yet v. weak margarita with the people I was meeting before going to the book signing. It was a decent event; I sold a few books and had several more people stop by to tell me that they love my stuff, which is still amazing and surreal.

After, I dropped my stuff off in my room, met up with some other historical writers (including Maya, who I would feel bad about stalking if she wasn't stalking me just as aggressively), and went for dinner. We tried walking down the Riverwalk, but the first place we tried had a massive line, and so we ended up coming back to the Brazilian steakhouse next to the hotel and eating there instead. I wasn't hungry enough to do it justice, but the meat and the caipirinha were v. restorative.

But when I got back to my hotel around 9:30, I took one look around the lobby and promptly returned to my room to rest - my broken toe is still broken (grr - I wore the boot today and everything and it started to ache tonight anyway), and I was pretty much talked out. And tomorrow is likely to be my busiest day of the whole shebang, so I need to get back into a-game mode. That requires sleep, and I'd like to write over breakfast again tomorrow, so I think I should sign off now - goodnight!

No comments: