Sunday, July 27, 2014

let's get drunk off the minibar

As you could probably guess if you read yesterday's post, today was completely brutal. I was out of energy, out of words, out of alcohol processing power in my liver, and mostly out of sorts. I managed to drag myself out of bed around 9:15 so that I could shower, put on some clothes, stare dumbly at my room, and pack two suitcases full of stuff. But I made it down to the lobby just in time for Laura and Dave to pick up me, Kathia, and Katie (Kathia's assistant) for brunch and fun times. Kathia and Katie were in about as bad a shape as I was, but we rallied for brunch...and I'm so glad we did.

Laura had made reservations at a place called Arcade, which was super yummy. I had a lobster taco, which was really lobster wrapped in a corn crepe with some delish green salsa and crema on top, and a side of v. basic scrambled eggs to up the protein quota so that I might begin the process of surviving the day. I also had three cups of coffee, and Laura forced me to order a cocktail since the bartender is apparently famous or something. Having tequila at eleven in the morning was either a great idea or a terrible idea; as I guessed would happen, since I know the biochemical processes that go into processing alcohol, it made me feel better briefly, and then I was sad. But she was right (even though she doesn't drink), and the cocktail was great, so I guess c'est la vie.

After we'd hung out there, we took a brief walk around the Pearl Brewery area to see some of the other restaurants/sights before the heat became too much for us. Then we stopped at a coffeeshop, where I had water to continue my survival process while everyone else had coffee. And then they took us to the airport. I was sad to say goodbye to Laura - it was really great to spend some quality time with her and her husband, and I'll have to go back to San Antonio again someday and spend some more time exploring the non-touristy parts.

But we got to the airport just in time, since I was about to totally hit the wall. After security, I parted ways from Kathia and Katie so that I could buy some water and call my parents for our usual (albeit abbreviated) Sunday call. Then I got on the plane; Kathia and I sat together, and while we both tried to be chipper, clearly neither of us were having it. But I made it home in one piece, dragged my suitcases upstairs, threw a load of clothes in the wash, and had dinner down the street with Terry since I needed food immediately and had neither the energy nor the ingredients to cook anything.

But now I desperately need to sleep since I have to go to work early tomorrow (booooooooooooooo)...goodnight!

No comments: