Thursday, July 24, 2014

these spies, these slow hands

I had a superb day. I tried to get up early, but failed, and so I skipped an 8:30am workshop in favor of sleeping, showering, and blowdrying my hair. Then I had breakfast (and worked over breakfast) before schmoozing in the coffee/bar area for a bit. Then I almost immediately had lunch with my old freelance editor, Krista, whom I absolutely adore; we have really good chemistry, and so lunch was super fun (probably helped along by a glass of wine).

Properly energized by our meeting, I then did a little more work before getting roped into some volunteer stuff (long story). Then I took a v. brief (twelve minute) nap, tried to meet with someone for the day job but ended up having to reschedule, and went to a 'rakes and cupcakes' party. Since my friend Maya is also gluten-free and was one of the hostesses, there were gluten-free cupcakes, and they were totally delish. But I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the number of people, and v. overwhelmed by the overheated suite, and so I went down to the lobby and worked on Thorington for half an hour.

Eventually, though, it was time to be social again, so I went back up to the suite, closed down the party (and met a reader who loved my stuff and gave me her info so I could send her a review copy of the next book - I'm trying to be better about asking for things), and then dragged Maya to a bistro/wine bar, where we had truffle fries, escargot, and an entire bottle of champagne. This was more necessary than it sounds, and we plotted world domination (mostly in the form of plans for drunken videos, which we will probably revisit/reconsider on the morrow) - we have releases coming out within a day of each other at the end of September, so any cross-promo we can do is v. much appreciated.

Unfortunately, we had to part ways at eight, but fortunately I had dinner plans with Kathia, Kristin, and Susan (the people I went on a writing retreat with last June). We ate at some fabulous Southern-type place on the Riverwalk, where I had more wine and tried to soak it all up with shrimp and grits (mostly successfully). Then we walked back, Kathia and I sat in the lobby and gossiped for a bit, and then I peremptorily decided that I needed to go to bed before I died. And now I shall sleep, since I have a full dance card tomorrow as well - goodnight!

No comments: