Wednesday, August 27, 2014

clip their tiny wings

Today was mostly uneventful, although I did get up early enough to meet Kathia at a coffee shop and write five pages before work (yay me). Then I went to work, where I had a handful of meetings, some lunch/social time, and a generally quiet afternoon...

...but then, weirdly, horrendously, my left middle finger (which I broke thirteen years ago) suddenly started hurting as badly as if I'd broken it again. This was odd, since I didn't do anything to injure it. But it's visibly swollen, hurts incessantly, and I can't close my fist - all of which were hallmarks of the first time I broke it. Granted, it's not as bruised, but that's little consolation (and there's always tomorrow).

Needless to say, that worried me, since a) I don't want to deal with this when I'm just now feeling recovered from my broken toe (which was hurting yesterday because I wore the wrong shoes; it's mostly better), and b) I have to have to *have to* finish Thorington's book this weekend (at least the final draft - I'll still need to do a deep line edit to check the prose). So the broken finger thing isn't helping matters. Granted, I should have gotten it checked out ages ago, since it's been aching off and on for months and I just assumed I was getting arthritis, but I'm going to choose to blame the cosmos instead of my own inaction.

But my team rallied (after I point-blank refused to go to the doctor this afternoon since I had plans) and splinted it with coffee stirrers and medical tape, so that was nice of them. And in my defense, I tried to get into the UCSF orthopedic center, but they're booked out to the end of September. So if it still hurts this badly in the morning, I'll go to urgent care, get an xray, and take it from there.

After that glorious endeavor, I sped back to the evil city, did a couple of things upon my arrival, and then went to dinner with Terry and Lauren (aka Subz) for a v. belated celebration of Lauren's birthday. I hadn't seen Lauren in two months, which is criminal, so we had a lot to catch up on. And we did so over margaritas (good) and mexican food (way too pretentious, but this is SF), and I think we all overshared, so that was great.

And now I must sleep so I can survive the morrow - goodnight!

No comments: