Friday, September 12, 2014

champagne supernova

Happy national day of mourning to me! Today was perfectly delightful - I didn't sleep that well last night, as has been typical for the last few days, but I awoke feeling chipper and eager to face the day. This is probably because I'm one of those weird people who is always excited to face her birthday like she's six again, and not like she's another step closer to the grave. So I got up early, got ready, talked to my parents (this is perhaps the earliest we've ever talked on my birthday), and drove to the glorious south bay to train with Alyssa. Our workout was fairly strenuous, which was great, and then I took my sweet time getting ready and drying my hair so that I felt like I was completely ready to face the day.

And the day was great. I had a couple of meetings, but I survived them. I met a baby, and I survived that as well. I had lunch with Alaska Matt (a comrade from my India days), and I required no special effort to survive that since he's always wonderful. I spent some quality time pulling a prank on someone in my cube, which means I have to go into the office tomorrow even though I was planning to work from home. And my team brought cupcakes (including gluten free cupcakes!) and champagne for my birthday, so that was awesome.

The only non-awesome thing was my drive home, which took an hour and a half. But I survived it, then talked to [censored], then threw on a v. hot dress and some extra eye makeup and went to Des Amis for my birthday dinner. Nine other people joined me over the course of the evening, and it was the usual suspects - Terry, Lauren (aka Subz - India was v. good to me in terms of long-term friends), John, Jess, Shedletsky, Tina (aka Mrs. Shedletsky, which is weird to say), Adit, Chandlord, Kathia, and Priyanka. It was wonderful to see them all, and we had a v. secluded, v. romantic back corner in which to accomplish our business. Also, the chef sent out some delicious pates and tings as gifts, which only John, Jess, and I ate, which was fantastic. Also, I got a creme brulee for dessert with a candle along with it. Also, we had two bottles of champagne and a bottle of my favorite zinfandel. Also, I drank a substantial amount of that second bottle of champagne, since the sommelier took great pride in pouring me an entirely full glass.

Anyway, a great time was had by all. Terry was a true friend and went out late on a school night. Lauren looked v. casual chic, as befitting her status as a (temporary) resident of coastal California. John and Jess brought me a v. heartfelt card that was entirely appreciate and entirely out of place with a generally flippant and sarcastic group, which made me appreciate it more. Shedletsky and Tina brought me several v. interesting books about British sex scandals (yay) and also decided to set up competing online dating profiles for me and see which one does better (uh, boo). Adit was v. late and looked like a hipster sailor, but endeared himself again by rearranging everything on the table as per usual. Chandlord was v. relaxed compared to her pre-dance days, and also got a glimpse of the glasses Adit stole from her (and changed the prescription on so that it suited him) nearly ten years earlier, and also instigated some v. personal questions towards me (tanks). Kathia was out of words but had at least showered, so I think she's doing well. Priyanka has had a super stressful few weeks, but she managed to show up and she also managed not to fall asleep during dessert, so I think she may have been the winner.

In short, it was perfect. And now I must sleep, and greet thirty-three with a happy heart. Thanks for all the birthday wishes, everyone! Goodnight!

No comments: