Friday, September 19, 2014

i can't sleep with you on my brain

Today was remarkably intense. I meant to wake up super early and write, but when my alarm went off, I made the executive decision to reset it for an hour later and get some more must-needed rest so that I could tackle the day ahead. Then I finally got up, showered, took care of tings around the house, did some work, etc., before taking three meetings from home. After that, I made the unusual move of going into the SF office - I had a meeting with my boss's boss to talk about something we're doing next week (I'm apparently a good manager or something, so they asked me to do an exercise at an offsite where I'm the coach and our director is the coachee - this was billed to me as a 'fun activity' that is actually one of those 'not fun' activities, but it will probably be fun because I'm a complete dork about this stuff).

sssanyway, I got to the office in time for lunch, and I had planned to work through it, but I v. serendipitously ran into Katrina in the cafe, and so we had lunch together and caught up. So, that was fantastic, since I hadn't seen Katrina on her own in a million years. Then I met with the director, did some work for another couple of hours, was in a v. content, accomplished state of mind, drove home...and pulled into my garage to find that I had a missed call from my boss and multiple missed IMs about a fucking stupid and annoying issue that never would have...but I'll say no more. Suffice it to say I talked to my manager on the phone and may have used some inappropriate language, but luckily he's accustomed to my occasional incandescent rages, so I think he took it well. And I took some of my aggression out over email, so that was fun.

And then I tried to recover from my rage by meeting Kathia for a writing date at Nectar. I realize that 'needs a drink to unwind' may be a warning sign, but when the options are a) have a glass of wine or b) stab someone in the face, I actually think wine is healthier. And I wrote six pages, which was surprisingly magical given that I was so enraged when I met her. Then Terry showed up and kidnapped me to have dinner at next door at Aix, which was wonderful.

And now I must sleep - I think I can finish tomorrow (or at least finish this draft) if I slog hard and mercilessly, so that's what I shall do. Goodnight!

No comments: