Friday, September 05, 2014

the road to shambala

As I probably could have foreseen, today was a normal day that went sideways into poor-decision-land. I woke up early, trained with Alyssa (and was luckily in much better shape and spirits than Tuesday, so I was able to actually do a serious workout), and went to work. I dove straight into meetings and slogged nonstop until three, at which point I drove back to the city so that I could catch a four o'clock meeting from my house before pursuing my evening activities.

And my evening activity was quite delightful - Vidya (aka Chandlord) organized and danced in a dance performance to benefit animal conservation in India, and the performance was utterly lovely. Terry and I went right on time for the start of cocktail hour, which basically meant standing around and drinking wine while talking to Lauren (aka Subz). Then the performance happened, and it was awesome - I actually like Indian dance (because I clearly have an Indian fetish), and they did an interesting job of mixing traditional Indian songs/hymns with modern/Western music during the different dance pieces. But ultimately it was all really fun to watch, and Chandlord raised a great amount for the charity of her choice, so it was win-win.

After that, though, as expected, it all went sideways - I could have gone home with Terry at ~8:45pm, and instead I stayed out and got home at 1:15am. Oops. But I wanted to buy Chandlord a drink, so we went with some other people to Noir Lounge - and then Adit showed up (after leaving the dance to go to another event and then come back), so I knew I was doomed. We ended up getting a bottle of wine, and then everyone else left, and then one of the servers gave us another half bottle to apologize for something that didn't affect us at all. So by midnight/closing, we (or at least I) were well and truly tipsy, which is really the only appropriate state for discussing fertility and relative ovary age, amirite?

So we left the bar at midnight and took an uber to Grubstake, where we had restorative potato skins, and where I insisted that we order some scrambled eggs so that I could get some protein in me before I died. In a truly crushing-it move, Adit also got a beer - I've never seen any of us order alcohol at Grubstake, since that place is where the party goes to die/be reborn rather than where it goes to continue the party, but hopefully he'll survive tomorrow.

And now I desperately need to sleep, since I'm meeting Kathia in five hours...hahahahahaha. Goodnight!

No comments: