Tuesday, October 07, 2014

all my tears have been used up on another love

So, today started off really rough...and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why, since I got less than five hours of sleep after drinking for more than five hours (eight, to be precise, although I suppose I didn't have anything in the last hour before I went to bed). Needless to say, everything was spinning and I was really unhappy, particularly since I'm a closet hermit and have just about reached the end of my psychological rope when it comes to hanging out with people. But I managed to get dressed and pack my bags, and then I had breakfast, where I discovered that I'd somehow missed the memo about today's start time and so had gotten up half an hour earlier than necessary. Ugh.

But the morning sessions were all good, and I even participated very robustly and (according to people who told me later) mostly articulately in a ninety-minute discussion that's fairly relevant to my job, so I suppose that's all good. Then I had lunch and shot some more arrows (but not many arrows, because I somehow bruised the hell out of my hands last night - I think it was from foosball, but both my pointer fingers are seriously bruised, which is rather uncomfortable). Then we wrapped up, and it was time for the real fun to begin again...

...which meant getting back in the car with my lovely travel companions and abandoning the other people at the offsite. We detoured to a nearby church thing to tour it, which was gorgeous (high up on a hill, surrounded by vineyards, overlooking a river valley). And then we drove back to Frankfurt and didn't die, mostly because Dave rarely had a chance to get up to full speed. We checked into my hotel and met up with someone on my team for a drink, which turned into ditching the offsite dinner and going out for German food and more drinks. This was all probably incredibly ill-advised, but we survived it. And I somehow continue to drink my weight in champagne every night, but tonight I paced myself and I still feel like a coherent human, which is a lovely surprise.

And now I shall sleep - I have one more full day in Frankfurt tomorrow, and I have hopes that it will be memorable. Goodnight!

No comments: