Saturday, October 25, 2014

i knew you were trouble when you walked in

I think I finally figured out what's wrong with the end of my book - like, for real figured it out, not the false realizations I had over the past few days. Unfortunately, that means I have to scrap some of what I'd already written, but not much - and I'm hopeful that a long and brutal slog tomorrow can get me to the end of it. And to that end, I'm going to go to bed early so that I can hopefully wake up fresh and clear tomorrow...

...because today was neither fresh nor clear. I woke up at seven, eventually made myself some tea, but was distracted from coming back to the writing because there were two people sleeping in my living room (Lisa and Ginger, who were Terry's friends in college). I'm friends with them as well, although I'm closer to Lisa, and she came into the kitchen while I was making tea, so I shared my tea with her. It was great to catch up with her, even if we were whispering while doing so. Then I came upstairs, contemplated Thorington, eventually took a shower, ate some breakfast, and went to Rapha, where I spent another two hours contemplating. And the trouble all became apparent when I finally forced a character to show up and then realized that he shouldn't be there at all. Ugh.

So I bought myself flowers and went home. Then I had a late lunch at Delarosa; the food was excellent, as per usual, and we didn't have to wait for a table, which is nearly unheard of (this is the advantage of eating lunch at 1:30pm, I guess). I also quite enjoyed my sparkling rosé, although I probably shouldn't have had it since I came home at three and immediately needed a nap. Oops.

And then I was completely unproductive the rest of the day. I went downstairs to make some tea at fourish, just as Terry and Ginger came back (it's their reunion weekend, hence the guests in the living room), and so I talked to them for awhile. Then Ginger went on a run and Terry and I continued to catch up, since we really haven't seen each other alone since before I went to Germany. Then I made chili for supper, and we ended up watching the second half of the Giants game (we skipped the first half because Terry couldn't bear to watch). And now that we won, Terry has ordered me to continue wearing the spiffy Giants sweater I was wearing for every remaining game of the series. Heh. Luckily, I happen to like that sweater, and it's super comfy, so this is not as onerous as it might sound (as long as it doesn't get any warmer, since I might overheat otherwise).

But one of the things Terry and I talked through was the end of Thorington, and so I'm feeling more hope about tomorrow than I've felt in a v. long time. And that means that sleeping now is an excellent idea. Goodnight!

No comments: