Friday, October 17, 2014

some nights i wish they'd just fall off

The jetlag was brutal today, repaying me for how easy the jetlag was when I went to Germany - but I suppose it's easier to overcome jetlag when one is hanging out and drinking and laughing rather than sitting at a desk and longing for the sweet release of death. I woke up sometime around 3:15am, and while my jawbone wristband says that I slept again after that, I mostly tossed and turned and dozed and had vivid dreams until six. So, needless to say, I was beyond tired when I finally dragged myself out of bed.

The first stop was Alyssa, whom I hadn't seen in over two weeks; she did not take it easy on me, but since I walked so much in Europe and generally ate pretty well (other than consuming my body weight in champagne), it all went okay. It was great to see her, as usual, even if I'll remember her all weekend because my legs feel like dead weights. Then I went to the office, showered, and stared at my screen in an attempt to figure out how to do some work.

That was mostly a lost cause. But I pulled myself together, made a latte, and had a walking 1:1 with my boss. The caffeine and the fact that I had to stay on my feet and not fall flat on my face meant that I was able to stay awake and mostly coherent through our meeting, which was better than I expected to do. Then I had a meeting with someone on my team, and I think I pulled it off as well. After that, I had lunch with a coworker (outside, since clearly sunshine was the only thing that could save me), spent an hour doing my expense report for my trip, and then walked over to the coffee lab to grab coffee. I had almost left before that in an effort to get back to the city, but as it turns out the walk + conversation + delish New Orleans iced coffee they were serving there may have been the only things that made me capable of driving. So, yay to that.

But I left the office around 2:40, got home within an hour (thank you, Jesus), and promptly put my pajamas on and crawled into bed for two hours. I think I only slept for thirty minutes of that, but it was so nice to just do nothing. Then I grabbed dinner at Sabrosa, came home and folded all my laundry, and am now going to try to read for a few minutes so I can make it to the more respectable hour of 9:30pm before crashing.

This weekend is all about finishing Thorington, so expect this to get even more boring before the end - sorry. Goodnight!

No comments: