Saturday, October 11, 2014

somewhere along the way my bitterness turned to anger

It feels a little lame to go to bed at 10:30pm on a Saturday in a foreign city, but since my main goals are to write and recover from a weeklong bender, this is exactly what I need to do. Today was lovely, though - I got nine hours of sleep, lazed around for a bit, showered, and had breakfast in the hotel restaurant (which is way nicer than most hotel restaurants - it's apparently a destination in its own right). I had their gluten-free french toast with bacon and banana, and it was totally scrumptious. I also wrote in my journal for a bit while I lingered over my tea, until the breakfast crowd turned into the brunch crowd and some obnoxiously loud men turned up, at which point I was done.

Then I adjourned to the tea room and worked on zee book for a couple of hours. But then I realized that I should probably go out and walk/explore since I'm in London and not SF, and so I went to Tower Hill to see the poppies that they're installing for the WWI memorial. They're putting in ~880k ceramic poppies in honor of all the Commonwealth casualties in WWI, and it was really gorgeous (although there were too many people there). Then I took the Underground part of the way back, got out at Westminster, looked briefly at the outside of Westminster Palace + Westminster Abbey, and then continued my peregrinations. I walked through St. James's Park, strolled past Buckingham Palace, walked to Hyde Park Corner and admired the Marble Arch, and then walked through Kensington to my hotel. It was all very civilized and lovely, and I'm feeling somewhat inspired (I think).

When I got here, I dumped my stuff and promptly grabbed a very early supper since I was starving - there's an Italian place down the street that does a great gluten-free pasta, which I enjoyed while working on the back cover copy for Thorington. Then I took a twenty-minute nap, put on something cute, and ventured back out to Piccadilly to meet up with Jess (a girl from work) and her friend for a drink at Bob Bob Ricard. It's a super posh, swanky restaurant/bar, where the cocktails are like $30 each (which is expensive even for my outrageous tastes), but the decor was awesome and it was great to see Jess in a non-work environment. After, I came back here, contemplated writing, and realized that I'd rather sleep and get up early tomorrow to write (or get up late tomorrow after sleeping for another nine hours, which sounds amazing). Goodnight!

No comments: