Sunday, December 14, 2014

happiness hit her like a bullet in the back

I rather wish I'd gotten more sleep than I got this weekend, but since it was all fun and I'm going to have two weeks to sleep in Iowa, I'm not going to regret any of this. Well, maybe I'll regret the fact that I have to commute tomorrow, since it just started raining again, which is going to doom me to misery.

But today was a lovely cap on a great few days before I have to return to the office again. I woke up of my own accord around eight, tried to sleep a bit longer and failed, and did some stuff online before showering and going down the street to have breakfast. Then I went to BevMo to buy gifts for some people at work (and champagne for myself) before getting my nails done. The nail-doing excursion took almost two hours, which was an hour longer than I wanted to spend at it, but that was my fault because I got a regular manicure instead of a gel one, and so I spent an extra thirty minutes sitting around reading while I waited for my nails to get extra dry so I wouldn't mangle them like I always do. Yes, that's an important thing to note here for posterity.

Then I grabbed coffee at Philz, came home, and spent most of the afternoon dealing with family stuff - I talked to both my siblings about Christmas and both my parents about life, all of which was v. necessary. Then I was going to go to the gym, but it turns out I should have gone earlier and talked to the siblings later, since the gym closed at five today. Thwarted (but secretly grateful, since I wasn't feeling great and wasn't eager to be there), I came home and finished the book I started last night (A PROMISE OF BLOOD, which I recommend to anyone who likes fantasy with some strong military elements - it's sort of a French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars with mages, and while it started a little slow, it was great by the end and I already bought the sequel).

Then I put on real clothes again and ventured to the Inner Sunset (I know, who goes there?) to have family dinner. We rendezvoused at Enjoy Vegetarian, and it was the usual suspects for family dinner (+ Claudia (aka Santy Claude during the holiday season), who was always part of the family but is now back full time). Chandlord, Katrina, Claude and I all showed up within ten minutes of the original start time (7), while Adit, Priyanka, John, and Jess were ten minutes late for the revised start time (7:30), so the first four to arrive split some appetizers and soup while waiting.

But then the eight of us gorged ourselves on fake meat and real hardhitting conversation (the origins of purple drank; Gilmore Girls; the recent photos of Prince George; Instagram; Claudia's tragic love affair with the viola; Mike Huckabee; mericles). We tried to convince Chandlord to do an opera bonfire for her birthday, but she'll probably just end up at Martuni's as per usual. We also checked out the Claudemobile. And we shut the party down (and by that I mean we were basically the only people there, and they were very eager to see us go when the restaurant closed at nine).

And now, feeling very #blessed, I must go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: