Saturday, December 13, 2014

uh, about last night...

I rarely clarify posts, but after waking up and reading what I wrote as I was falling asleep last night, I feel that perhaps I didn't really do the evening justice. Also, I have no idea what I was saying when I said something about my soul betraying me. Also, I have no idea why I used a tag called 'predators', which I've never used before.

sssanyway. I actually wasn't particularly intoxicated when I wrote the post, but I was actively falling asleep as I was typing - I haven't stayed up until four a.m. in a million years, and since I've been getting up at 5:30 or 6, my body (rather than my soul) betrayed me. So I was clearly hallucinating while I was typing and thought that it made some semblance of sense. Or maybe the hallucinations were from the absinthe...but I get ahead of myself.

So to recap. Yesterday, as I kind of said, I worked, went to the gym, worked some more, and got my bangs trimmed and my brows waxed. Then I came home, lazed about, and got ready for my company holiday party, which was the first (and way more sedate) stop of the evening. I took Chandlord with me as my date, which made it as fun as it could be considering that we got there basically when it started and left before anything debauched occurred. The food was decent, the drinks were okay, and the line for absinthe was way too long and not worth it (although it was theoretically interesting to watch them pour it the way they're supposed to, with burning sugar and all that). And the cheese was, frankly, the best thing there, even if the French VP of the group thought it was only good enough for American peasants (my words, not his).

And then the evening went sideways, as I knew it would. If you read last night's post, Adit wasn't mentioned, but observant readers could probably guess his involvement. He and Priyanka had a holiday house party, so Chandlord and I arrived fashionably late and proceeded to party until the bitter end. All the usual suspects were there - I v. briefly saw Kristin and Folkman, whom I hadn't seen in ages, and I should have made it back to the yard to talk to them more, but I got distracted (probably by the punch, which we called 'purple drank' for a reason). Katrina was there, rocking some lovely hairstyle. John and Jess were obviously in the mix, as expected. Claudia (aka Santy Claude) is fully back from Yale, and it's still weird and wonderful to think that she's now here full-time. And there were all sorts of other characters from Adit's life, including his young cousin who wants me to write about NBA infidelity for my next romance novel (uh...), Omar (the only other person besides Adit to have visited my family in Iowa), and these guys named Rajiv and John who've never been mentioned here before, but with whom I spent much time in the kitchen continuing to spike the warm apple cider and throwing bread at Chandlord.

By three a.m. the party was more than over, so we left Adit and Priyanka to their own devices and Chandlord/John/Rajiv/I went to Sparky's. I'm getting to the age where I keep thinking that every three a.m. excursion to Sparky's is going to be my last, but when I start feeling old, I just need to tell myself, "You got this, girl," (as one drunk girl said to an even more drunk, stumbly girl while encouraging her to walk down the ramp to the exit). Then I got home at four, was sober enough to take off my eye makeup so that my eyelashes wouldn't glue themselves to my face forever, made an ill-fated attempt at blogging, and slept for three glorious hours before the construction started outside my window. Heh. So I put in earplugs and slept until ten, which is later than I thought possible at my advanced age.

So now you know what really happened. Maybe my soul did betray me last night, but we'll never know.

No comments: