Thursday, December 11, 2014

your face is all that i see, i'll give you everything

I scoffed at the #stormageddon this morning when I woke up at 6:30 to light rain and the pressing need to finalize edits on my slides and take a shower before my eight a.m. meeting. It's a good thing I did the slides first - just as I was about to blowdry my hair at 7:20 so that I could do some final prep with a coworker over videoconference at 7:30, my power went out. And it stayed out. That meant no internet, obvi. So I did the presentation, which was ostensibly the most important meeting of my week, partially on videoconference on my work phone (jhoke), and then over the phone after they dialed me in when my video failed (double jhoke). But I survived it, so that's good.

And then I debriefed with my coworker after the presentation, considered going to the SF office before my next meeting, and realized I couldn't get my car out of my garage. So I did another meeting over the phone, then canceled the remaining stuff I had on my calendar since it was ridiculous at that point. Happily, someone pried the garage door open then, so I vacated my house in search of a neighborhood with power and food. The power outage affected most of the north half of the city, so I rescued Kathia and took her to Morning Due, which I hadn't been to in ages. Happily I got a couple of good hours of work done, which I'll take. And when I got home at 1:30, my power had just come back on, so I think I'll survive the stormageddon. I also got my first parking ticket in San Francisco ever (it's a miracle I've made it this long) because they were actually doing street cleaning in the middle of the storm, which is a triple jhoke.

Then I came home, napped, worked some more, etc., before walking down to the Marina and meeting Kathia for another writing date. Then I had dinner with Lauren (aka Subz), which was v. lovely and v. overdue; I'd seen her a couple of times this month, but I hadn't seen her alone in a month and we had a lot to catch up on. So we spent two and a half hours lingering over our wine and talking about life, which was pretty much perfect (the conversation, not our lives, obvi). And then I walked home in the continuous, albeit light, rain, and now I'm going to go to sleep and hope that my power stays on tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: