Thursday, January 01, 2015

from the balcony you call my name

Tonight's my last night in ye olde Iowa for awhile. I'm not precisely ready to leave, and I'm certainly not ready to go back to work. But I am looking forward to getting back into the writing routine, if nothing else - Rafe and Octavia are beginning to shimmer in my head a bit more, trying to lure me into writing them. Yeah, I know that's crazy, but it's true.

So today was my last chance at sloth, and I fucking owned it. I stayed in bed late, went upstairs when the desire for bacon and coffee overcame my desire for sleep, and hung out with the parents. I also did some desultory tasks on my laptop while talking to them, because I have difficulty being truly slothful, but none of it was particularly crazy. Then I showered and went into town with [censored] to visit our grandmother, which was a mostly-depressing experience (except for imagining her playing kickball, which is entertaining, and also hearing her claim that she used to walk over to the swimming pool to swim, which is certainly not true). But she's in a good place and is well cared-for, which is the best you can hope for.

Then [censored] kidnapped me to show me [censored] before returning me to the safety of our house. Once here, I messed around on my laptop a bit more before dinner, and then enjoyed bratwurst while scowling at the over-the-top ridiculousness that is 'Inside Edition', which plays on the CBS affiliate here every night at 6:30 (just in time to spike my rage and ensure I eat the extra helping of whatever to avoid throwing my plate at the screen). Then we watched a bit of tv before playing hearts - we hadn't really played games over this break, but we managed to get in one game of hearts before bedtime. [censored] won at the last minute, much to my chagrin, but it was fun regardless.

And now, after having spent part of my New Year's Day reading more about that book on willpower like a fucking stereotype, I'm going to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: