Thursday, January 08, 2015

this body is yours and mine

I stayed in San Francisco today, which was totally glorious. I stayed in bed until seven (I know, so decadent), and I still made it into the SF office by 8:30. Then I grabbed breakfast, got through a bunch of work, had meetings from 11-12:30, grabbed lunch, and then had a very lovely hour of coffee and catching up with Gyre (remember him?). I hadn't seen him in over a year, I realized - since before his fourth kid was born, and since she's thirteen months old now, that was quite awhile ago. Stupidly, we saw each other a lot more when I wasn't working, since we had a standing triweekly lunch on calendar for years...but since I rarely go into the SF office and he's based up here full-time rather than going to MTV, our paths never cross.

But we were really good friends back in the day, and I'm pleased to say it was just like old times. So we caught up on life and all its varied and ridiculous happenings, and while an hour wasn't enough, it was a great interlude. We had to part ways since we're both very important and had meetings to go to, but I survived my meetings without any serious drama. Then I left early to get a facial and repair the dryness caused by Iowa + air travel (or to just indulge my inner princess).

And then I rendezvoused with Kathia - we were going to write, but she was over it and I had no desire to actually do any more work, so we had dinner at Verbena. Kathia recently moved to Russian Hill, which is closer to me than her old place, and it's opened up a whole new world of coffee shops and restaurants on Polk Street that we never went to when the central location between us was somewhere in the Marina. It's stupid that I've never really spent much time on Polk Street since I live three blocks away from it, but the hill from Van Ness to Polk is just steep enough that going to the restaurants on Chestnut always seems easier (even if Chestnut is infested with bros).

But the food at Verbena was yummy, and seeing Kathia was good for my soul, as always. And now I'm going to pull a total octogenarian move and go to bed at nine so that I can get up at six and make slides before going to work - goodnight!

No comments: