Friday, February 27, 2015

no doubt in my mind where you belong

India continues to delight and overwhelm. I had several hours of meetings this morning, but I was done with work by 1:30, and so Lillian and I said our farewells to Sriram and the rest of the group we were visiting here and got in a car to Jaipur. The trip from Gurgaon to Jaipur took 5+ hours, and I spent the vast majority of it staring out the window while listening to my music, which made for a lot of strange cultural dissonance as I watched people parading toward a Krishna celebration while listening to Lady Antebellum. But it was pretty relaxing to listen to my music, which drowned out just enough of the chaos around me to make for a peaceful ride.

And then we arrived in Jaipur, the Pink City, just as the sun was setting. We didn't explore tonight, since we were both wrecked from several days of work, but we had dinner at the hotel restaurant, which was pretty tasty. I also reunited with the Old Monk, my favorite rum from my Hyderabad days - it's by no means good, but it's always up for a good time. I got the bartender to put a shot of it into one of the mocktails, since the mocktails looked way better than the cocktails; they seemed nonplussed, but they did it, and I savored the sweet taste of victory along with the headache Old Crow is likely to visit upon me tomorrow.

But now I really need to sleep...I shouldn't be this tired, but I think I'm a) still the tiniest bit sick from my cold, b) still the tiniest bit behind on my sleep deficit from my flight here, and c) more than the tiniest bit in need of a break from people so that my introverted heart can regain its equilibrium, and I'm not likely to get alone time for awhile. So I'm going to enjoy my current alone time by going to bed - goodnight!


No comments: