Saturday, March 28, 2015

don't look back in anger

I'm in my new apartment, which is strangely similar to my old apartment...oh, wait, it is my old apartment. It's simultaneously great and totally surreal to be back after almost six years away. The only really unfortunate ting is that I have more stuff than I did six years ago, despite my efforts to purge over the past few weeks...while I purged books and clothes, I didn't purge furniture, and what I have now doesn't fit completely easily in the space. I think it will be great once I empty all the boxes and can actually walk around, but that's a task for another day.

However, the move went about as smoothly as these things can go. I woke up at 6:30, enjoyed a final few minutes in my bed as the sun rose, and then packed until 8:30. I managed to take a break long enough to shower and have breakfast down the street, and I got back just as the movers arrived. They did a great job, and I'd had one of them move me before (out of this place and into adit's), so that was weird as well.

But we got everything here, and it only took seven hours....the 2-4 flights of stairs at the old place plus the elevator situation here slowed them down, but they did an admirable job. They left around 4:30, and then I took my desk and filing cabinet to storage, went to the old place to grab some stuff, came here, went to whole foods, considered staying up all night to unpack,and instead unpacked only the most important things (bed sheets, toiletries, and tea making stuff for tomorrow).

And now, even though it's not quite ten p.m., I'm going to sleep - I have a million things to do tomorrow to get sufficiently out of the old place and into the new place, and that requires a million hours of sleep first. Goodnight!

No comments: