Wednesday, March 04, 2015

don't wake me up

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Ritz, having a final cup of tea before going to the airport. It's 8:45pm on Wednesday here, which is 3:45am on Wednesday in California...which means I should be on the ground in San Francisco in thirteen hours.

Tokyo has been more delightful than I expected (mostly thanks to my love affair with the Ritz), but I'm eager to sleep in my own bed and readjust to my California life. Granted, I'll probably feel differently when I have to immediately start packing and planning my move and writing a book, etc., but for now the idea of being back in San Francisco is dreamy. Still, my day in Tokyo was great. It started a bit abruptly at five a.m., when I woke up and had trouble going back to sleep, but I eventually slept until eight. Then I woke up for real and had to deal with work emails for awhile (including a hangout that I had to turn the video off for, since I was still in bed), but I was able to wrap everything up in time to shower, have one last breakfast overlooking the Tokyo skyline, and check out of the hotel.

Then I went to the office, where I had a couple of meetings before going to visit another team in a different part of the city. When we got back to the original office, I did some desultory work for an hour before having dinner with the team at a sushi place nearby. This sushi was way better than last night's sushi, probably because they knew what to order - the sashimi was perfect, and while I avoided eating the large fish eyes, everything else was really tasty. I also had three glasses of sparkling yuzu wine, which may have made me sleepy. And I really like the Tokyo team, so it was a good final bit of socializing before my departure.

But all things end, and my Tokyo adventures are ending imminently. Hopefully you've enjoyed the last few days of blog posts where I had something to report other than my typical discussions of commute/gym/day job/writing/family time - we'll be back to our regularly scheduled boring posts by the weekend. Goodnight!

No comments: