Wednesday, March 11, 2015

hold her down with soggy clothes and breezeblocks

I was minimally productive today, but I think I'm coming out of the last of my jetlag haze, so I'm feeling the urge to be productive tomorrow. Today I woke up at 5:40, realized that if I had to drive down and back I might die, but also knew that I needed to go in...and so I showered as fast as possible, threw my makeup and hair stuff in my bag, and caught the 6:20 shuttle to the office. This was the first time I'd taken the shuttle in months, and coincidentally it was magical today - I slept most of the way to the office, got there by 7:15, and was able to finish getting ready before working on writing-related stuff until 8:45ish. I'm not saying I'm going to do this every day, but having the option is nice.

After writing, I ate breakfast, had a few meetings, and then skipped out with Dave and Tomas to go to Palo Alto on an ill-conceived adventure. We were testing some electric car that it's possible for us to rent for short journeys, which was all well and good; we also went to downtown Palo Alto before abandoning downtown for the less-fancy environs of El Camino, where we (oddly) grabbed food at Ace of Sandwiches. I say 'odd' because we basically paid for food to take back to our desks, where we ate it within a hundred feet of free food - but the sandwiches were good, and it felt weirdly good to be a real adult and eat outside the office. And I got off pretty cheaply anyway, since Dave had a groupon and so I only had to kick in $3.50 for our chips.

So that was a lovely interlude, with plenty of ridiculous conversation (the three of us together tend to hit max ridiculousness pretty quickly, even when sober). Then we returned to the office, where I had meetings and slogged for several hours. But the lure of sleep and the city drew me out of the office and onto the shuttle, where I slept all the way back. And then I spent the evening taking care of a variety of desultory tasks and having a quick dinner with Terry at Roam.

That's all I've got for you tonight - goodnight!

No comments: